Sunday 23 October 2011

On your bike!

Today was the first day in a long time that I took a bike out and go for a ride. I met up with the Trisport group and was given a choice of a trip to Maam Cross or a further 5-6 miles on to Maam. I figured since this was the first day on my new bike, i erred on the side of caution and took the shorter route with one of the other club members.

The first thing pointed out to me was to increase the height of the saddle so that i could get more momentum when I was pedalling (ah the good old days when you just took out the bike and just cycled, not its all science lol). That was sorted and away we went, the weather was atrocious today for any sort of cycling. But I figured if I'm waiting for good weather for a cycle I'll be waiting a long time.

It took a while to figure out the gears on the bike which didn't help matters on the cycle out to Maam Cross, but when I finally got it sorted it was a fair bit more comfortable. When we reached the turn at Maam Cross, we took on some water and headed back. Towards the end of the journey, i could start to feel some pain in my legs and was just looking forward now to get home and just hop into a hot shower. When we finally got back to Carraroe my legs were red from the cold and was just glad to stop. But all in all for a first cycle in a long time, I would have to say I was happy enough.

Location: Carraroe to Maam Cross (and back)
Distance: 52.8 km
Time: 2:26 (very slow i know)

No comments:

Post a Comment